This statistical bulletin provides users with the latest estimates of construction output carried out in Northern Ireland for Q4-2020. It excludes work carried out by Northern Ireland Construction firms in other parts of the UK or elsewhere.
- The total volume of construction output in the fourth quarter of 2020 increased by 14.9% from Quarter 3 2020 to a 10 year high. Construction output increased by 10.3% over the year but decreased by 5.7% on a rolling four quarter basis.
- In the past two quarters, the total volume of construction output has shown growth following a decrease of 29.7% seen in Quarter 2 2020. Despite these increases there have been annual decreases in 5 of the last 7 quarters.
- The increase in overall output in Quarter 4 2020 from the previous quarter was driven by increases in New Work (+15.8%) and Repair and Maintenance (+15.6%).
- The output in Repair and Maintenance has increased over the year by 15.0%, this is the first quarterly annual increase recorded since Quarter 1 2019.
- In Quarter 4 2020, both the Housing (+21.1%) and Infrastructure (+13.9%) sub-sectors showed an increase when compared with the previous quarter, this was partially offset by a 3.4% decrease in Other Work over the quarter.
- Despite fluctuations the volume of Other Work has been on a downward trend since Quarter 4 2017, where the annualised growth rate has shown a decrease every quarter since Quarter 2 2018.