This statistical bulletin provides users with the latest estimates of construction output carried out in Northern Ireland for Q1-2022. It excludes work carried out by Northern Ireland Construction firms in other parts of the UK or elsewhere.
Key points to note:
- The total volume of construction output decreased by 3.4% over the first quarter of 2022 and decreased by 4.1% over the year. However comparing the most recent four quarters to the previous four quarters showed an increase in output over the medium term (8.4%).
- Construction output is 0.1% below the pre-Coronavirus pandemic level seen in Quarter 4 2019 but is 47.2% above the series low seen in Quarter 2 2020.
- The annualised growth rate in construction output has increased for the fourth consecutive quarter in Quarter 1 2022. This follows five quarters of decline between Quarter 1 2020 and Quarter 1 2021.
- The decrease in overall output in Quarter 1 2022 from the previous quarter was driven by decreases within both Repair and Maintenance (1.7%), and New Work (3.2%).
- The decrease over the year to Quarter 1 2022 in construction output was also driven by decreases within both New Work (4.2%) and Repair and Maintenance (3.8%).
- In Quarter 1 2022, both the Infrastructure (3.6%) and Housing (11.7%) subsectors decreased over the quarter and was offset by an increase within the Other Work (6.2%) subsector.
- Census 2021 update 31 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 20 January 2023 27 January 2023
- Weekly deaths tables – week ending 13 January 2023 20 January 2023
- Labour Market Report January 2023 17 January 2023