This statistical bulletin provides users with the latest estimates of construction output carried out in Northern Ireland for Q1-2020. It excludes work carried out by Northern Ireland Construction firms in other parts of the UK or elsewhere.
- The total volume of construction output in the first quarter of 2020 decreased by 1.0% compared with Q4 2019, was 3.3% lower than the same quarter in 2019 and 2.4% lower on a rolling four quarter basis.
- Since the series high in Q4 2006 the total volume of construction output began to fall. While the total volume of construction output in NI has been on an upward trend since Q4 2013, recent quarters have shown signs of levelling off, with decreases in 3 of the last 5 quarters.
- The decrease in overall output in Q1 2020 from the previous quarter was driven by a 10.0% decrease in Repair and Maintenance and offset by a 1.1% increase in New Work.
- In Q1 2020, the decrease within Repair and Maintenance means that levels are now at the lowest since Q4 2012.
- In Q1 2020, there were increases in Housing (7.4%) and Infrastructure (2.8%) and a decrease in Other Work (-8.0%) compared with the previous quarter.