NISRA has today (26 June 2019) published the Mid-2018 Population Estimates for Northern Ireland and areas within Northern Ireland. This release contributed to a concurrent release of 2018 Mid-year Population Estimates for the UK by the Office of National Statistics (ONS). Population and migration estimates are available by age and gender for various current and former geographies in Northern Ireland, ranging from Local Government Districts to Super Output Areas and former Electoral Wards. Further information, including tables of estimates and a statistical bulletin, is available on the NISRA website.
The key findings are:
Population topped 1.882 million in 2018
- The Northern Ireland population at 30 June 2018 was estimated to be 1.882 million, an increase of 10,800 people (0.6 per cent) since mid-2017.
- The increase can mainly be attributed to natural growth of 6,700 people (i.e. 23,100 births minus 16,400 deaths) and net inward migration of 4,100 people (i.e. 23,600 people moving here to live and 19,400 people leaving to live elsewhere).
- The estimates show the continuing ageing of the population. Over the year the number of people aged 65 or more increased by 1.7 per cent (to 308,200 people). The number of children aged under 16 also increased, but by a lower rate of 0.7 per cent (up to 393,500 children).
- The population in all Local Government Districts (LGDs) increased over the year. The increases ranged from 1.2 per cent in Lisburn & Castlereagh LGD to 0.1 per cent in Derry City & Strabane LGD.
- Annual population growth rates to mid-2018 were the same in Northern Ireland as they were in the UK as a whole (0.6 per cent).
Further information including links to statistical tables, infographics, population pyramids and interactive maps is available at: https://www.nisra.gov.uk/publications/2018-mid-year-population-estimates-northern-ireland
- PPS publishes annual statistical bulletin on hate crime 15 August 2019
- Labour Market Report August 2019 13 August 2019
- Northern Ireland local government district tourism statistics 2018 25 July 2019
- Baby Names in Northern Ireland 2018 23 July 2019