Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) we anticipate that there will be some changes in terms of our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information. From April 2020 and until further notice, Quarterly Employment Survey data will be published on the NISRA website at 7am, a change from the standard 9.30am release time.
Quarterly Employment Survey (QES) latest results were published 15th September 2020.
The survey date for Quarter 2 was 1st June 2020 for Northern Ireland. Those who are furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) are included in employee jobs estimates.
- The number of (seasonally adjusted) employee jobs in June 2020 was estimated at 779,880. This was a decrease of 1,540 jobs (0.2%) over the quarter and an increase of 4,570 jobs (0.6%) over the year. This is the first quarterly decrease since December 2015. Neither the quarterly nor the annual changes in employee jobs were found to be statistically significant.
- Quarterly decreases in employees were seen within the manufacturing, construction and services sectors to June 2020. Other industries was the only broad industry sector to report an increase over the quarter, where a peak was recorded in June 2020 (24,610 jobs).
- Manufacturing was the only broad industry sector to experience a decrease in employee jobs over the year of 2.7% (-2,370 jobs), following four consecutive quarterly decreases since the series peak in June 2019.
- The annualised growth rate of total employee jobs has fallen every quarter between March 2018 (2.3%) and June 2020 (1.0%).
- The annual increase in private sector employee jobs (0.3%) is the lowest rate of annual growth since September 2012.
- Public sector jobs increased over the quarter (0.6% or 1,360 jobs) and over the year (1.4% or 3,000 jobs). Following a period of annual decline in public sector employee jobs between June 2015 and June 2017, there has been consecutive annual increases since September 2017.
- In the last five years, employee jobs have increased by 7.2% (52,580 jobs). There has been an increase of 12.8% (88,580 jobs) from the low in March 2012.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.