Quarterly Employment Survey (QES) latest results were published 14th September 2021.
The survey date for Quarter 2 was 1st June 2021 for Northern Ireland. Those who are furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) are included in employee jobs estimates.
- The number of employee jobs in June 2021 was estimated at 771,680. This was an increase of 1,190 jobs (+0.2%) over the quarter and a decrease of 4,860 jobs (-0.6%) over the year. Neither the quarterly nor the annual changes in employee jobs were found to be statistically significant.
- June 2021 marked the second consecutive quarterly increase in employee jobs, following four previous quarters of decline. The first annual decline in employee jobs since 2012 was noted in September 2020 and since then there have been four consecutive quarters of annual decline.
- The annualised growth rate of total employee jobs has fallen every quarter between March 2018 (+2.3%) and June 2021 (-1.0%). June 2021 marked the third consecutive quarter of negative annualised growth.
- In the last five years, employee jobs have increased by 5.0% (+37,090 jobs). There has been an increase of 11.6% (+80,520 jobs) from the low in March 2012.
- Quarterly increases in employee jobs were seen within the services (+1,360 jobs), manufacturing (+310 jobs) and other industries (+40 jobs) sectors to June 2021. The construction sector reported a decrease over the quarter (-520 jobs).
- All four broad industry sectors experienced decreases in employee jobs over the year to June 2021, with the services sector reporting the biggest annual decline (-2,910 jobs).
- Private sector jobs increased marginally over the quarter (+0.1% or +740 jobs) but decreased over the year (-1.1% or -6,310 jobs) to 556,820 jobs in June 2021. Public sector jobs increased over both the quarter (+0.3% or +580 jobs) and the year (+0.6% or +1,250 jobs) to 214,710 jobs in June 2021.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.