Quarterly Employment Survey (QES) latest results were published 14th December 2021.
The survey date for Quarter 3 was 6th September 2021. Those who are furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) are included in employee jobs estimates.
- The number of employee jobs in September 2021 was estimated at 779,470. This was an increase of 7,520 jobs (+1.0%) over the quarter and 8,070 jobs (+1.0%) over the year. Neither the quarterly nor the annual changes in employee jobs were found to be statistically significant. September 2021 estimates showed that employee jobs have almost returned to the pre-pandemic December 2019 level (-0.1% or -460 jobs).
- September 2021 marked the third consecutive quarterly increase in employee jobs, following four previous quarters of decline. September 2021 marked the first quarterly annual increase after four consecutive quarters of annual decline.
- September 2021 marked the fourth consecutive quarter of negative annualised growth rates (-0.5%).
- In the last five years, employee jobs have increased by 5.8% (+42,940 jobs). There has been an increase of 12.8% (+88,310 jobs) from the low in March 2012.
- Quarterly increases in employee jobs were seen within the services (+6,100 jobs) and manufacturing (+1,520 jobs) sectors to September 2021. The construction and other industries sectors reported marginal decreases over the quarter (-40 jobs and -60 jobs respectively).
- All broad industry sectors apart from construction experienced increases in employee jobs over the year to September 2021, with the services sector reporting the biggest annual increase (+7,630 jobs). The construction sector experienced an annual decrease of 5.4% (-1,930 jobs).
- Private sector jobs increased over both the quarter (+0.9% or +5,260 jobs) and the year (+0.7% or +3,680 jobs) to 563,120 jobs in September 2021. Public sector jobs also increased over both the quarter (+0.8% or +1,630 jobs) and the year (+2.0% or +4,300 jobs) to 216,710 jobs in September 2021.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.