In November 2010 NISRA produced a recommendations document which sets out the recommendations for future deprivation measures.
Two public dissemination events were held in September and October 2010 to provide an overview of the updated deprivation measure and an opportunity to ask questions. NISRA would like to thank all who contributed to these events. Copies of the presentations are available for download below:
- Presentation from Belfast event (30 September 2010, McAuley House, NISRA)
- Presentation from North West event (6 October 2010, Ebrington Site, IIex)
NISRA released the Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure (NIDMDM) 2010 results on 31st March 2010. The Super Output Area (SOA) level results are available to download. Also available are maps of the SOA multiple deprivation measure and individual domains, a press release and a list of the indicators used in the updated deprivation measure.
The Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure 2010 report (also available in large print) was published on 26 May 2010 along with further deprivation data at Output Area, Electoral Ward, Local Government District and Assembly Area levels. A description of indicators document and a guidance leaflet are available.
The NIMDM 2010 is made up from 52 indicators mostly relating to the period 2007-2009. The indicators are grouped into seven types of 'domains' of deprivation weighted as follows:
- Income Deprivation 25%
- Employment Deprivation 25%
- Health Deprivation and Disability 15%
- Education, Skills and Training Deprivation 15%
- Proximity to Services 10%
- Living Environment 5%
- Crime and Disorder 5%
NIMDM 2010 interactive maps (Super Output Area and Output Area levels) are available. Information on changes to Super Output Areas and the new Small Areas, following the 2011 Census, is also available on NINIS.
In keeping with equality guidelines a policy screening form for the update to the measures has been completed.
It is not advised to compare the deprivation measures across the UK as data definitions, collection methods and base populations are not the same across Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. Also the UK regions have produced their measures in different years. For further details please refer to Indices of Deprivation across the UK.
Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure 2010:
- Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure 2010 Report
- Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measure 2010 Report Large Print
- Super Output Area Level Results
- Output Area Level Results
- Ward Level Results
- LGD Level Results
- Maps of the SOA Multiple Deprivation Measure and Individual Domains
- Domain Weight Analysis
- Domain Weight Analysis Excel Tool