Estimates of the number of businesses selling to markets outside NI are also presented. The latest estimates remain designated as ‘experimental’ to reflect the fact that they are under development.
Northern Ireland Broad Economy Sales and Exports Statistics 2016 - published 14 December 2017
- Total sales by companies in Northern Ireland (NI) were estimated to be worth £68.9 billion in 2016, an increase of 2.7% (£1.8 billion) over the year.
- Sales within NI increased by £829 million to £44.7 billion, up 1.9% over the year and are at the highest level since the survey commenced in 2011.
- Sales to Great Britain (GB) increased by £281 million to £14.0 billion, up 2.0% over the year.
- External sales (sales to markets outside NI) rose by £967 million (4.2%) to £24.1 billion, and accounted for over a third of total sales in 2016 (35.0%).
- External sales and sales to GB are at their highest levels since 2011.
- Exports (sales outside the UK) increased by £686 million (7.3%) over the year, to £10.1 billion.
- Exports to the Republic of Ireland (RoI) increased by £73 million (2.2%) over the year, to £3.4 billion.
- Exports to the Rest of the EU (RoEU, excluding RoI) increased over the year by £200 million (9.4%) to £2.3 billion. Exports to the Rest of the World (RoW) increased by £414 million (10.4%) over the year, to £4.4 billion.
- Over the calendar year 2015 to 2016, the estimated number of businesses selling to destinations outside NI rose by 1.7% (201 businesses) while the number of businesses exporting (i.e. selling outside the UK) rose by 0.7% (57 businesses).
Current publications and tables
Comparison with HMRC Regional Trade Statistics
BESES estimates are not directly comparable with HMRC Regional Trade Statistics due to methodological differences. NISRA and HMRC have released a joint statement regarding the different value of exports produced by each method.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.