Grid Square statistics allow users to examine trends over time for consistent spatial units, NISRA has made Grid Square statistics available for every census since 1971. The geographic base for these outputs is the Irish Grid, with census statistics produced for 1km and 100m grids.
- Read our guidance note for more information on the development of the Grid Square product for Census 2021
- View the full list of variables within the Census 2021 Grid Square product
- Read our Grid Square products page for background on Grid Squares
Grid Square in GIS format
Digital boundaries for Grid Square are available to download in several formats (ESRI Shapefile, GeoJSON, and Geodatabase):
Grid Square statistics for previous censuses
- Census 2011 Combined Grid Square product
- Access data for earlier grid square outputs (1971, 1981, 1991, and 2001) through the UK Data Service
Please note you will have to register with the UK Data Service to access this data.