Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) we anticipate that there will be some changes in terms of our regular statistical production. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics page for more information.
Latest results - published 14th January 2021
- The total volume of construction output in the third quarter of 2020 increased by 36.0% from the series low in Quarter 2 2020, was 5.3% lower than the same quarter in 2019 and 8.1% lower on a rolling four quarter basis. This follows a quarterly decrease of 30.3% in Quarter 2 2020.
- The quarterly increase of 36.0% in Quarter 3 2020 in construction output is the largest quarterly change on record.
- While the total volume of construction output in NI was on an upward trend between Q4 2013 and Q3 2018, recent quarters have shown a drop, with annual decreases in 5 of the last 6 quarters.
- The increase in overall output in Quarter 3 2020 from the previous quarter was driven by increases in New Work (32.8%) and Repair and Maintenance (31.7%).
- The output in Repair and Maintenance has shown annual decreases in 6 consecutive quarters since Quarter 2 2019.
- In Quarter 3 2020, all 3 construction sub-sectors (Housing, Infrastructure, Other work) showed an increase when compared with the previous quarter, where both Housing (33.8%) and Other Work (46.2%) have now recovered from series lows seen in Quarter 2 2020.
- The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and subsequent measures taken to reduce the transmission of the virus impacted on the economy in 2020. The most significant of these measures was the introduction of restrictions in movement, which began on 23 March 2020. Throughout Quarter 3 2020 there were a number of localised restrictions introduced, although the majority of construction work was unaffected.
Current publication and tables
Notices of change
- Revision Notice - Data Smoothing Q2 2017
- Information Notice - Delay in Publication Q2 2017
- Methodological notice - Change of base year
- Revision notice - New Work and R&M series
- Historical Data
- Information for participants
- Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch
The next Northern Ireland Construction Bulletin will be published on 8th April 2021. This will cover the period of 1st October to 31st December 2020. Full publication schedule
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: Rebecca.email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.