Latest results - published 30th September 2021
- The total volume of construction output in the second quarter of 2021 increased by 0.6% over the quarter, by 53.2% over the year and by 12.0% on a rolling four quarter basis. Construction output is 3.8% above the pre-Coronavirus pandemic level seen in Quarter 4 2019.
- Construction output has seen an increase within the annualised growth rate in Quarter 2 2021 after five consecutive quarters of decline.
- The increase in overall output in Quarter 2 2021 from the previous quarter was driven by an increase in New Work (+3.9%) slightly offset by a decrease within Repair and Maintenance (-3.7%).
- In Quarter 2 2021, both the Housing (-0.9%) and Other Work (-2.0%) sub-sectors showed a decrease when compared with the previous quarter, this was offset by a 12.8% increase in Infrastructure over the quarter. Infrastructure has reached a series high in Quarter 2 2021.
- Despite fluctuations the volume of Other Work has been on a downward trend since Quarter 4 2017, however within Quarter 2 2021 Other Work saw an increase within the annualised growth rate after 12 consecutive quarters of decline.
- All estimates are compared to the revised Quarter 1 2021 and Quarter 2 2020 estimates. Note that Quarter 2 2020 was the height of the coronavirus restrictions and, as a result, most QCE series were at a series low. Where possible a comparison against the pre-pandemic value of Quarter 4 2019 is also provided for context.
Current publication and tables
Notices of change
- Revision Notice - Data Smoothing Q2 2017
- Information Notice - Delay in Publication Q2 2017
- Methodological notice - Change of base year
- Revision notice - New Work and R&M series
- Historical Data
- Information for participants
- Economic and Labour Market Statistics Branch
The next Northern Ireland Construction Bulletin will be published on 13th January 2022. This will cover the period of 1st July to 30th September 2021. Full publication schedule
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.