Latest Reporting Unit results – published 31 March 2021.
- In 2019, the income generated by non-financial businesses in Northern Ireland (NI), less the cost of goods and services used to create this income, was estimated to be £26.2 billion. This amount represents the approximate Gross Value Added (aGVA) at basic prices of the NI non-financial business economy, excluding farming and financial services.
- The NI non-financial business economy, as measured by the Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry (NIABI), recorded an increase of £2,308 million (9.7%) in aGVA from 2018 to 2019.
- The key driver of aGVA growth was the NI non-financial Services sector (industry Sections H-S) which increased by £1,354 million (14.7%) between 2018 and 2019. The majority of aGVA growth in this sector is attributable to the Transport and Storage section (Section H) which increased by £548 million (34.1%).
- Retail and wholesale trade within the distribution sector (Section G) recorded aGVA growth of £614 million (10.9%). There was also growth in the Construction sector (Section F) of £254 million (9.3%).
- The Production sector (Sections B-E) showed an increase in aGVA of £86 million (1.4%) from £6.24 billion to £6.32 billion. Growth in Section B, D and E was partially offset by a decline in the Manufacturing sector (Section C) of £157m (3.3%).
- Turnover in the NI non-financial business economy as a whole increased by £3.2 billion (4.6%) over the year to £72 billion and purchases of goods, materials, energy, water and services increased by £0.2 billion (0.5%) to £46 billion.
Current publication and tables
- Annual Business Inquiry - 2019 Reporting Unit Results published 31 March 2021
- Annual Business Inquiry - 2018 Local Unit Results published 28 August 2020
Notification of a Breach of the Code of Practice for Statistics
Practice T3.6 of the Code of Practice for Statistics requires: Statistics should be released to all users at 9:30am on a weekday.
The release of the ABI 2017 Local Unit statistical report and associated tables was delayed past the required 09:30 time on 27 June 2019.
This breach will be reported to the National Statistician and the report is published here.
NI ABI Questionnaire
For details of changes to the NI Annual Business Inquiry questionnaire for survey year 2014 please see the link below:
NI ABI Questionnaire Guidance Notes
For guidance notes to assit in completing the Annual Business Inquiry questionnaire please follow the link below: