Domain Overview: The natural environment has a role to play to ensure sustainable supply of natural goods like food, water, minerals, raw materials, and to maintain critical ecosystem services that provide benefits for human welfare.
The 4 measures in the Natural Environment domain are:
- Total green house gas emissions (millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent)‡
- Protected areas in the UK (million hectares)
- Energy consumed within the UK from renewable sources – No NI Data Available (electricity generation from renewable generation for NI and UK presented below)
- Waste from households that is recycled
- In 2015, Northern Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions were estimated to be 20.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent, (UK overall: 495.8 million tonnes). In Northern Ireland, the longer term trend shows a decrease of 17.8% compared to the base year (the base year is 1990 for carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, and 1995 for the fluorinated gases).
- In terms of greenhouse gas emissions per capita, this equates to 11.2 tonnes per capita in Northern Ireland compared with 7.6 tonnes per capita in the UK overall.
- In 2015, Northern Ireland’s protected areas were estimated to be 0.47 million hectares (UK overall: 21.41 million hectares), including both on land and at sea. In Northern Ireland the protected areas on land represent 28.4% of the country, which is comparable to the UK proportion of 27.6%. There is a bigger disparity in the marine protected areas, with 9.5% of Northern Ireland water designated as protected compared with 16.6% of UK waters.
- Just over eight percent of energy consumed within the UK in 2014 was from renewable sources (8.3%). No comparable figure is available for Northern Ireland. However, looking at the percentage of total electricity generation accounted for by renewable generation, in 2014, this was 26.0% in Northern Ireland, compared with 24.6% in the UK as a whole.
- In 2015, just over two-fifths of waste from NI households was recycled (42.0%), this is slightly lower than the position in the UK overall (44.3%).
- A range of NI environmental statistics is available on the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs website.
Do you want to know more? – Office for National Statistics Wellbeing.
10 National Wellbeing Domains